Friday, May 23, 2014

Perspective

You know that old saying about walking a mile in someone else's shoes?

Yeah... so this happened:
I printed out a sheet of paper with 2 half page flyers on it. It needed to be cut in half. I had recently sorted through just about the last of the chaos from our recent move and had found some scissors and placed them in an easily accessible spot. So, I grabbed said scissors and proceeded to cut the page in half.... poorly.

Something just wasn't quite right. This scissors felt fine in my hand but they weren't cutting where I thought they should. Things were way off. It felt like I couldn't see what I was doing because the scissors themselves were blocking my view. The cut line was far from the fold I had made as a guideline, and it was crooked. I then attempted to "clean up" the crookedness of the line to no avail. I felt utterly incompetent at a skill I mastered 25 years ago.  

I commented to the ITH that this was the worst cut job ever and made some comment about how the scissors are weird. And then,

ITH: "Wait, let me see those scissors."
TDE: *retrieves scissors* and *has sudden realization* "Oh, are these your lefty scissors?"
ITH: (joyfully) "You found my scissors! Where were they?"
TDE: "I don't know, I found them in while unpacking. I put them over here."
ITH: "They should live in the middle drawer over there."
TDE: *puts scissors away in said middle drawer*
TDE: "Wait... is that what it's like every time you have you to use right-handed scissors?!"
ITH: "YES!"
TDE: "oh honey, I'm so sorry."
ITH: "Thats why I bought my own lefty scissors."

I found myself with a whole new appreciation of being a lefty in a right-handed world. I think all the right-handed folks out there should find some left-handed scissors and attempt to make one simple straight cut with them. It's probably easier than literally or figuratively walking a mile in someone else's shoes and it'll be (mildly) life-changing. It will certainly give you some perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment