Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Snow Day Blues

I've been sitting on the couch watching the snow fall for nearly 3 hours now. I got lost in Facebook land for a while, I drank some coffee, I pondered what to write about today. The ITH was sent home from work. He is currently napping. The snow is still falling.

You know how sometimes you see something (either on TV or in real life) that is horrible and you don't want to watch it but you just can't pull your eyes away from the horror? That is how this snow storm feels to me. I keep looking out the window and staring at it. It gives me a sense of doom deep within my soul. I know its just a snow storm. I know its not surprising. I never expected that winter was over. Yet I stare at it and think "WHYYYYYY?" We've had a rough winter this year and I am so done with it.

I tried to cope by looking at climate maps and planning my escape. The problem with climate maps is that there are so many out there and all of them are slightly different. How can one plan an escape to a perfectly in-between climate if all the maps conflict each other? And why is it that even with all of our scientific advances we still can't seem to figure the weather? And WHY is it snowing again today!

This is the negative loop my brain is stuck in right now. It is absolutely not the state of mind to be in when trying to write a witty science-based entertaining blog entry.

So, rather than force the issue, I distracted myself by checking one of my favorite blogs, Ann Arbor Amish. And, low and behold, a solution to my problem presented itself: A link to an article on the chemistry of cast iron seasoning. Cool!

So, today I admit blogging defeat, blame Seasonal Affected Disorder, and leave you with two links to help you get through this snow storm:

1) An attempt to convince myself that snow is good.

2) The Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning

Hopefully I shall recover from this funk before next week. Perhaps I need to plan some experiments for myself so I have goofy science-based life experiences to blog about. Suggestions welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Re: predicting the weather... I think we're coming near the Butterfly Effect limits of prediction, where we can't account for the small changes that cause much larger effects eventually.

    ReplyDelete