Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The TDE's Guide to Making

AKA: The Kinesthetic Learner's guide to DIY

I am a kinesthetic learner. That means I learn by DOing. If I can't jump in and do it myself, then let me watch you DO it. If I have to use written instructions then there better be good photos or I'll just stop reading them and figure it out on my own. Don't bother giving me oral instructions, I stopped listening after your first sentence and I'm already 3 steps ahead of you. Sure, I might have done one of those 3 steps incorrectly, but I'll figure that out eventually and then I'll figure out how to fix it.

I enjoy DIY projects. I imagine this is a common trait of kinesthetic learners. We like DOing things and the D in DIY is DO. Perfect. I find that if I have solid instructions I will generally follow them. Generally. I tend to add little embellishments to just about everything. Example: Simple A-line skirt. This is one of the easiest pieces of clothing to make. When I made one, I decided to add a lining (so it was like making two skirts and then making them fit together) AND add pockets.*

*Seriously, why don't skirts have pockets? Get with it clothing industry!

What I enjoy even more than a basic follow-the-instructions-DIY project is the DYI-maker-invention projects. These are the things that are unique to your situation. You wont find how-to pages online for these issues. There is no pre-determined solution. These projects appeal to just about every aspect of my brain. I get to be creative and I get to engineer. And, because the solution doesn't yet exist, I have to figure it out for myself. Because I learn by doing, I tend to figure out the solution by just jumping in and DOing it. For non-kinesthetic learners that last sentence probably doesn't make much sense. I generally approach this in a seemingly chaotic, but actually rather systematic way. Today's post is my guide to how I do this.

Today's post was inspired by a pair of slippers. They are basic slip-on, no back, fleece slippers. I actually wouldn't have bought them, but the ITH convinced me that they are awesome. And, they are almost awesome. I noticed 2 problems: 1) They don't stay on well enough and 2) My heels get cold. I *could* return them, but instead I shall FIX them! yay!

And, here is where I admit that I fixed the first slipper a week ago and the whole time I was working on it I kept thinking "Stop and take pictures for the blog!" I didn't stop. I was in the zone. I was making and fixing and learning and DOing. So, I forced myself to wait to do the second slipper until after I had taken some staged pictures. These photos are included below because well... read the 4th sentence of my first paragraph above.

The TDE's Guide to Making:
5 simple steps for any project
1. Ponder
2. Gather
3. Play
4. Do
5. Re-do

1) Ponder:
Think about the problem and possible solutions. I typically ponder here and there, especially in the shower, for a few days. Get some vague ideas in your head of what might work and create a mental list of the materials you will need.

Well hello Periodic Table. You help with the shower ideas. Thanks!
Yes, this picture was really taken inside my shower.


2) Gather:
Get your materials and supplies. Pull together ALL the things you think you may use. Then grab some other stuff that is similar to the stuff you think you'll need. Sprawl it all out on the floor or table. I prefer the floor. Its bigger so I can have more stuff accessible.

Remember, this photo is staged. My actual gather was less organized.
Items I considered: fleece, felt, buttons, hem tape, snaps, twine. Note the lack of elastic which I may end up adding later if I decide that it is needed.


3) Play:
Play with things. Don't do any cutting/glueing/sewing/etc. Don't physically alter your materials yet. Line them up. Hold them up. Get ideas for what might actually work. This is the best part of the process. This is when you'll get in "the zone" and will be lost to the real world for a while. You also need to be sure to consider how the object will be used when it's done. You don't want to do anything that will hinder it's intended function. The play stage often results in a few additional mini gathering sessions. Don't bother putting things away yet even if you don't plan to use them. You might need them later.

hmmm, this could work...
Fleece is a good option for this project because it is soft, warm, and a little bit stretchy. Plus, cut edges don't fray so no hemming required. The TDE rather dislikes hemming.


4) DO:
Take the most promising idea from your play session and start doing it. I have learned that the best starting ideas involve the least amount of permanent alteration to the main object. Pick an option that is easy to undo but still promising. Do it. Try it. Does it work?

I sewed buttons onto the slipper. That way, if the fleece doesn't work out, I can use a different material attached to the button. Or, if this totally fails, the buttons don't alter the function of the slipper and/or can easily be cut off later.


5) Re-do:
Most likely, your initial "do" needs some tweaking. Sometimes it fails completely. Thats OK. Now you have narrowed the scope of what will or wont work. Go do something else.

Not a whole lot of re-do on this project. I adjusted the location of button holes and trimmed up the fleece appropriately. However, this project may not be done yet. As mentioned above, elastic may need to be added later.

Repeat steps 1-5, in any order, as needed.

Finally, clean up your maker tornado. Sometimes I find bits from a project weeks later in a place I don't even remember going while doing the project. It's all part of the process. Do your best to keep track of pins and other potentially dangerous things though. Safety first!

Because kinesthetic learners learn by doing, we love this whole process because we are engaging and learning and, most importantly, DOing. For me, when I successfully complete a maker project, I certainly feel pride because of the thing I have created. However, I feel more fulfilled by the fact that I fixed a problem. I figured out a solution. I had fun DOing it. For me, it's often more about the process than the end result.

PS: I'd love to interview the CMD (cabinet-maker-daddy) on his process for making intricate wooden boxes. Most of my maker projects are sewing related and fabric is quite a bit more forgiving than wood. Perhaps there will be a future post on this if he's willing.*

*Yes, the CMD reads my blog. Hi dad!  :D

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure what kind of learner I am.. I think I go more conceptual first though. I see some useful ways I could try to modify how I do things, just reading your post here.

    ReplyDelete